Our Catholic Identity
PeaceHealth is a Catholic Health Care system bringing exceptional medicine to multiple Northwest communities, always with a concern for the most vulnerable. In keeping with our Catholic identity:
- PeaceHealth is committed to serving the poor and vulnerable as reflected in the services we provide.
- PeaceHealth is committed to providing health care services to any person seeking care whether they have health insurance coverage or not.
- PeaceHealth does not permit abortion except to save the life of the mother.
Contraceptive decisions are between the patient and the health care provider.
- Emergency contraception is provided to women who are victims of sexual assault. PeaceHealth requires a negative pregnancy test prior to dispensing emergency contraception.
- RU-486 is an abortifacient and is not dispensed at PeaceHealth.
- PeaceHealth provides quality compassionate care at the end of life. Withdrawal of medical treatment (e.g. hydration and nutrition, ventilator, pacemakers, antibiotics, and blood products) is appropriate if it is non-beneficial in meeting the patient’s goals.
- Physician assisted suicide is prohibited. Physicians are prohibited from participation in the medical and psychiatric consultations on PeaceHealth time and in PeaceHealth facilities or any facility leased from PeaceHealth.
For additional information, contact a PeaceHealth Director of Ethics.