Using Medications to Treat Health Problems
Your provider may recommend that you take a medication to either treat or prevent a health problem.
Some medicines are “over the counter,” such as vitamins, supplements (glucosamine) or cold remedies (cough syrup). You can buy these at a drug store, supermarket or specialty shop.
Other medications are “by prescription only.” You will need to go to a pharmacy for this type of medicine.
Important Medication Reminders
Medications can be very powerful and effective when used appropriately. Please follow your provider’s directions very carefully.
- Give your provider a complete list of all your medications, including over-the-counter supplements, at every visit. Record what you’re taking, how much and how often, then carry the list with you at all times. Accurate, up-to-date information will help your provider make good decisions about your care.
- If you take a medication every day, please be sure to call your pharmacy for a refill at least three days before you run out.
- Your pharmacist can help answer questions about a medication, possible side effects, proper storage and safety tips.
- If there are no refills on a medication, your pharmacy will usually call your provider. Your provider may want to see you for a follow-up visit to determine if you should continue taking the medication.
- If you start a new medication and have an allergic reaction or experience serious side effects, please contact your provider immediately. In an emergency, please call 9-1-1.
- Get rid of expired medications or those you don't need any more. Flushing them down the sink or toilet is not recommended. Instead, mix them in a bag of kitty litter or coffee grounds and put the sealed bag in the garbage.
Pharmacy Services at PeaceHealth
PeaceHealth Medical Group providers may write prescriptions electronically or on paper. Either way, you can choose where you would like to have it filled.
A prescription can also be phoned in to a pharmacy of your choice. If you want a particular pharmacy, please provide the phone number for your preferred location.
For your convenience, PeaceHealth Medical Group's Cordata Main clinic has a full-service pharmacy with prescription and over-the-counter medicines:
PeaceHealth Medical Group
Cordata Main, First Floor
4545 Cordata Parkway
Bellingham, WA 98226
Phone: (360) 676-7373
Fax: (360) 738-4415
The pharmacy is open to all members of the community.
Monday to Friday 8 a.m.-9 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday 10 a.m.-4 p.m.