Psychiatry (Behavioral Health)
Support for Good Mental Health
The word "Psychiatry" is based on the Greek words meaning "mind (or soul) healer." Psychiatrists are medical doctors who focus on studying, preventing and treating disorders of the mind to help people think, feel and behave in healthy, positive ways.
Examples of mental health issues are:
- depression (mild to extreme sadness that won't go away)
- bipolar (sudden or frequent mood swings from extreme sadness to extreme happiness)
- obsessive compulsive (feeling compelled to think about or do the same thing repeatedly)
- paranoia (a strong fear that others intend to hurt you)
- phobias (extreme or unexplained fears)
Causes of mental disorders can include genetics, physical make-up, chemical imbalances, trauma, life experiences, environment or a combination of various factors.
There is hope and help for those who struggle with emotional or mental issues. Medication, counseling and special therapy are among the various types of treatments that can be used.
Psychiatry at PeaceHealth
PeaceHealth Medical Group in Ketchikan has a skilled Psychiatrist who provides medical and non-medical care for adults affected by mental or emotional disorders and behavioral problems:
21 Jefferson Way, Suite 202
Ketchikan, AK 99901