Nurse Midwifery Birth Center
PeaceHealth Nurse Midwifery Birth Center is a certified nurse midwifery practice. The PeaceHealth certified nurse midwives work in collaboration with PeaceHealth obstetricians at both the Nurse Midwifery Birth Center and the Lane County Charnelton Community Health Clinic.
Midwives and lactation consultants provide a participatory model of care for prenatal, labor, birth, and postpartum care including breastfeeding support services in addition to well-woman care. You have the opportunity to work one-on-one with all of the certified nurse midwives during pregnancy. Care may be provided regardless of a woman's ability to pay.
The Nurse Midwifery Birth Center is located at 353 Deadmond Ferry Road in Springfield, which is less than a mile from the Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend campus. You can reach the Nurse Midwifery birth center at 541-222-7750.
The Nurse Midwifery Birth Center is accredited through the American Association of Birth Centers and has received the World Health Organization Baby Friendly designation for comprehensive excellence in breastfeeding support. As part of its AABC accreditation the Lane County Friends of the Birth Center serves as its consumer advisory board for the Nurse Midwifery Birth Center.
Services and features available include:
- Midwife-attended births at the Birth Center or SHMC at RiverBend 24 hours a day 7 days a week
- Prenatal and postpartum care
- On-site lab
- Centering prenatal care
- Prenatal breastfeeding classes
- Childbirth education classes
- 24-hour lactation support
- Weekly well-baby clinic (Tuesdays 12pm- 2pm at the Birth Center)
- Well-woman exams
- 2 dedicated birth suites with tubs for water births
- 2 dedicated prenatal/postpartum exam rooms
- A healing garden and walking path for laboring mothers
- 2 areas for education and wellness programs
If you need to reach a midwife or lactation consultant when the clinic is closed, the answering service will answer all phone calls and connect you with the midwife or lactation consultant on call. We encourage you to call the clinic with any health concerns you may have.
Nurse Midwifery Birth Center lactation services
The Nurse Midwifery Birth Center is one of Oregon's few Baby Friendly-designated facilities for providing continuous, evidence based lactation services.
While You Are at the Hospital or Birth Center
All of our breastfeeding mothers are encouraged and supported by our experienced midwifery and nursing staff. Lactation consultants are available every day of the week for those who need extra help. While you are at the Hospital or the Birth Center, you will receive:
- Hands-on breastfeeding help at your bedside
- Tips for solving common problems in the early weeks of breastfeeding
- Information about breast pumping and storage, if needed, plus information about where in the community to rent or buy pumps
Back at Home: Outpatient Lactation Support for Nurse Midwifery Birth Center Patients
24-hour lactation support is available to families who use the Nurse Midwifery Birth Center and deliver at the Hospital or Birth Center.
The lactation consultants will schedule a follow-up home visit 24 to 72 hours after the mother and baby have returned home to weigh the baby and help resolve breastfeeding problems.
Well-Baby Clinic for weighing your baby and lactation support (Tuesdays 12pm-2pm at the Birth Center).
Lactation consultants can also schedule follow-up appointments as needed.
For More Help